Matthew Curran is a partner at Robbins, Kelly, Patterson & Tucker and a member of the firm’s litigation practice group. His wide-ranging litigation practice includes commercial, civil, and probate litigation. He also provides advice to clients on general business matters.
Matt litigates cases involving contracts such as partnership and business ownership agreements, operating agreements, franchise agreements, and other matters including leases, supplier and vendor contracts, severance agreements, service agreements, and construction contracts. He also has experience litigating cases involving property damage, premises liability, commercial collection, foreclosures, evictions, trespass, defamation, fraud, negligence, professional malpractice, probate, bankruptcy, and personal injury claims.
Matt regularly counsels business owners on a variety of subjects including risk assessment, risk mitigation, dispute resolution, and issues surrounding non-compete agreements. As part of his practice, he negotiates private shareholder disputes and drafts leases and other agreements.
Previously in his career, Matt served as an in-house attorney in the global litigation group of a multinational corporation with retail, wholesale, and manufacturing divisions. This experience enables Matt to give practical advice and helps Matt see matters from a client’s perspective. Matt started his career in the Cincinnati office of a large law firm practicing complex commercial litigation.
Before law school, he worked in Chicago for an international marketing and public relations firm. As part of his duties, he acted as a national spokesperson for a telecommunications company that was a major sponsor of the National Football League. In that role, he traveled the country attending Monday Night Football games as part of a publicity tour, hosting ticket giveaways, autograph signings with NFL Hall of Fame players, and giving promotional interviews on local and national television and radio.
A Cincinnati native, he returned to the city and currently resides in Oakley with his wife, son, and the family beagle, Pudge.
Areas of Practice
- Commercial/Corporate Litigation
- Civil Litigation
- Business Law and Corporate Counseling
- Probate Litigation
- Franchise Litigation
- Land Use and Zoning Litigation
- Real Estate Litigation
- Personal Injury
- Ohio Bar Association
- Cincinnati Bar Association
- Relo Franchise Services, Inc. v. Gilman, et al., United States District Court, S.D. Ohio, Western Division, 2019 WL 324215
- Successfully enforced non-compete agreement and obtained injunction after a two day hearing on behalf of franchisor against former franchisee.
- City of Cincinnati v. Rennick, 1st District Court of Appeals, 2022-Ohio-1110, 2022 Ohio App. LEXIS 1025
- Prevailed as appellee on an appeal filed by the City of a denial of a motion to dismiss in the trial court based on immunity.
- In re Estate of Cherry, 1st District Court of Appeals, 2021 Ohio App. LEXIS 1633
- Prevailed as appellee on an appeal opposing party filed in litigation involving a trust and a related estate.
- Camper 29 v. Unique Auto Lot, LLC, Court of Common Pleas, Hamilton County, Ohio, Case No. A2000494
- Won summary judgment on behalf of landlord in a commercial eviction case.
- Next Stage LLC v. Cynci Scene LLC, Court of Common Pleas, Hamilton County, Ohio, Case No. A2003409
- Won motion to enforce settlement agreement and was awarded attorney fees on behalf of landlord against commercial tenant.
- Sirius Equity Partners LLC v. BGN 3919 Montgomery, LLC, Municipal Court, Hamilton County, Ohio, Case No. 20CV09565
- Won summary judgment for client in commercial real estate dispute.
- E-Deft Solutions, LLC v. OSS Jobs, Inc., Court of Common Pleas, Warren County, Ohio, Case No. 20CV093002
- Prevailed after filing for summary judgment on behalf of client accused of breaching a professional services contract.
- Relo Franchise Services, Inc. v. Needful Changes, Inc., et al., Court of Common Pleas, Hamilton County, Ohio, Case No. A 1806496
- Won arbitration award after a three day hearing in front of an arbitrator from the American Arbitration Association, successfully enforcing a franchise agreement and defending against breach of contract and fraud claims. The award was confirmed by the Hamilton County Court of Common Pleas.
- Tashmukhamedov v. Gulyamov, Court of Common Pleas, Warren County, Ohio, Case No. 17CV089439
- Obtained injunction on behalf of business owner against former partner who had been attempting to misappropriate company assets.
- TNT Cincy Inc. v. Kasee, Court of Common Pleas, Hamilton County, Ohio, Case No. A1405325
- Won summary judgment on liability for breach of non-compete contract on behalf of a buyer of a bar/restaurant against the prior owner.
- Client awarded attorneys fees after a three day bench trial on remaining claims and damages.
- Byrnside v. Clyde Power Marine, Court of Common Pleas, Hamilton County, Ohio, Case No. A1704404
- Represented marina that performed repairs on a boat and defeated attempt by plaintiff to recover possession of the boat prior to paying for repairs. Won a judgment on counterclaims for lack of payment. Successfully foreclosed on non-paying customer’s boat and forced judicial sale to compensate client for repairs that had been made.
- Parker Woods Apartments, LLC v. KMRR Properties, LLC, Court of Common Pleas, Hamilton County, Ohio, Case No. A1905338
- Obtained judgment on behalf of landowner against neighbor requiring neighbor to remediate dangerous condition or reimburse landowner for costs incurred in performing the work.
- Brown v. Brown, Court of Common Pleas, Hamilton County, Ohio, Case No. A1603900
- Successfully represented beneficiary in a partition action who owned a partial interest in real property that was sold.
- Greener Portion Aquaponics, Inc. v. Keegan, et al., Hamilton County, Ohio, Case No. 14CV19730
- Obtained an injunction granting access to leased premises on behalf of commercial tenant who had been improperly locked out by the landlord.