Mike Galasso is currently representing multiple financial institutions in commercial foreclosures, receiverships, and bankruptcies involving distressed multi-family, office, and mixed use properties in Ohio and Indiana. He recently obtained an order compelling claims by a former franchisee against a franshisor to arbitration and obtained summary judgment in a consumer law dispute involving a residential home improvement project. Year to date, Mike has successfully resolved through mediation and settlement a variety of cases to include personal injury, contract, and commercial cases.
Mike joined the firm in 1999 and became a partner in 2005. He is a member of the firm’s litigation practice group and his practice is devoted almost exclusively to litigation. Mike has tried numerous cases to verdict including bench trials, jury trials, arbitrations, appeals, and contested bankruptcy matters.
Prior to law school, Mike was a police officer in Knoxville, Tennessee. During college, Mike was a military police officer in the U.S. Marine Corps Reserve serving on active duty in Operation Desert Storm in Saudi Arabia, Iraq, and Kuwait.
Admitted to practice in Ohio, Kentucky, and Indiana, Mike’s practice extends to a wide range of civil litigation matters such as business and contract disputes, real estate disputes, employment litigation, non-compete agreements, trade secret claims, franchise litigation, consumer claims, and creditor’s rights. His creditor’s rights practice regularly involves representing banks, credit unions, and other financial institutions in foreclosures, bankruptcies, receiverships, loan workouts, and related default matters. Mike also represents outdoor advertising clients in land use, zoning, and contract matters. Mike has significant experience in personal injury matters representing both plaintiffs and defendants.
Mike is a member of The Million Dollar Advocates Forum in which membership is limited to attorneys who have won million and multi-million dollar verdicts, awards, and settlements.
Mike has made several presentations to professional organizations relating to foreclosure and real estate issues.
Areas of Practice
- Civil Litigation
- Commercial Litigation
- Consumer Law
- Creditor’s Rights
- Employment Law
- Land Use and Zoning Litigation
- Personal Injury (Plaintiff and Defense)
- Real Estate Litigation
- Ohio, 2000
- Kentucky, 2001
- Indiana, 2002
- U.S. District Court Southern District of Ohio, 2001
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Ohio, 2001
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Kentucky, 2001
- U.S. District Court Western District of Kentucky, 2001
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Indiana, 2002
- U.S. District Court Southern District of Indiana, 2002
- U.S. District Court Western District of Michigan, 2004
- U.S. Court of Appeals Sixth Circuit, 2002
- U.S. Court of Appeals Seventh Circuit, 2003
- U.S. Tax Court, 2005
- U.S. Supreme Court, 2004
- Northern Kentucky University, Salmon P. Chase College of Law, J.D. cum laude, 2000
Northern Kentucky Law Review, General Editor, 1999 - 2000
Northern Kentucky Law Review, Member, 1998 - 1999
Moot Court Board Member 1998 - 2000
- Eastern Kentucky University
B.A. Political Science, 1996
A.A. Police Administration, 1994
- Ohio State Bar Association
- Cincinnati Bar Association
- Kentucky Bar Association
- Indiana State Bar Association
- Kentucky Justice Association
- Indiana Trial Lawyers Association
- Obtained a favorable jury verdict in the representation of a construction restoration company in a contract/mechanic’s lien dispute.
- In representing a mortgage broker, obtained summary judgment on eight of ten claims, then obtained a bench trial judgment on the remaining claims which was later upheld on appeal.
- Obtained summary judgment in representing an automobile dealership in consumer claims.
- Successfully defended a financial institution in claims asserted by corporate customer which was subsequently upheld on appeal.
- Successfully defended an automobile warranty company in claims brought by consumer under a warranty.
- Obtained a judgment in favor of an outdoor advertising company in an administrative appeal which reversed the denial of sign permit by a local zoning authority.
- Obtained bench trial judgment in favor of employer in wrongful discharge claim.
- Successfully defended nonprofit organization in claims of employment discrimination.
- Obtained temporary restraining order and injunction in favor of employer against former employee arising from non-compete agreement and trade secret claim.
- Obtained summary judgment for employer in employee claim under the Family Medical Leave Act.
- Lead counsel for plaintiff in a personal injury claim in which the jury awarded in excess of $1,000,000 where the last defense settlement offer was $60,000.
- Negotiated settlement on behalf hotel in premises liability claim.
- Obtained defense judgment for transportation company in personal injury claim.
- Represented stallion managers in Australia and Kentucky in claims brought by fractional owners of a thoroughbred racing stallion.
- Represented franchisor in claims brought by franchisee in arbitration.
- Represented financial institution in claims relating to underwriting of commercial loans.
- Represented financial institutions in class action claims made under the Americans with Disabilities Act.
- Represented majority owners of a limited liability company in claim for breach of fiduciary duties and an accounting.
- Represented minority shareholder of a corporation in breach of fiduciary claim against majority owners.